Have you ever heard a strange and annoying noise in your ears? Be careful. It may be the signs of ringing in ears which has a medical term – Tinnitus. In this post, we are going to investigate the causes of tinnitus.
The medical center of University of California San Francisco defines ringing in ears as:
- Tinnitus is one of the most elusive conditions that health care professionals face. It is an auditory perception not directly produced externally.
- It is commonly described as a hissing, roaring, ringing or whooshing sound in one or both ears, called tinnitus aurium, or in the head, called tinnitus cranii.
- The sound ranges from high to low pitch and can be a single tone, multi-tonal, or noise-like, having no tonal quality. Tinnitus may be constant, pulsing or intermittent. It may begin suddenly or progress gradually.
Causes of Ringing in Ears
There are various reasons lead to ringing in ears
- Obstacles in the outer ear. The obstacles includes:
- Ear wax blockage (the most common)
It may due to the improper clean technique of ear canal. Some people uses a Q-tips to clean their ear. But, actually, it would push the ear wax close to the eardrum.
For some people, their ear wax is hard that block the ear canal easily.
- Your hair contact the eardrum
This happens to women. Their hair is long. Sometimes, the hair accidentally enters the ear canal and touch the eardrum or a foreign body.
Medicines have potential side effects. There are about 200 drugs that may lead to tinnitus. The drugs are:
- Anti-inflammatories: Aspirin, ibuprofen (Motrin) and naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn)
- Antibiotics: tetracycline, doxycycline, and vancomycin
- Cancer drugs: cisplatin and vincristine
- Antidepressants: clomipramine
- Consult your doctors if he/she can change the suspicious medicines that lead to tinnitus. So, your tinnitus can be relieved a little bit.
- Natural aging
- When you are getting older, your body functions including cochlea’s function are deteriorating. Malfunctioning of cochlear occurs. Tinnitus is considered as one of the syndromes.
- Noise exposure
- This contributes up to 90% of the causes of tinnitus.
- Loud noise destroys the cochlea and other organs in the ear that are sensitive to stimuli.The ringing in ears is the warning given by the ear organs.
- If you experience tinnitus, you should immediately leave the noisy place and consult the doctors as you may have hearing loss.
- Noisy places include: construction places, roadsides …
- People that are likely to have tinnitus: pilots, rock musicians, construction workers…
- To prevent noise exposure, you should wear a hearing protection earmuff. If you are looking for a protection earmuff, you may click HERE which directing to my hearing protection earmuff review page.
- Head and neck injuries
- Traumatic injuries on your head or neck lead to inflammation which gives a large blood pressure on the auditory nerve.
- Other medical conditions
- High blood pressure
- Growth on jugular
- Thyroid dysfunction
Do you want to learn the solutions for tinnitus? We have discussed about the natural ways to stop and cure tinnitus. You might click the link below to see it.
Hope you have a better understanding towards the causes of tinnitus. If you have problems about tinnitus, you can leave your comments below. See you!